system hangs when network shares down

Hello all,
I have mounted some windows shares on my linux debian computer using smbfs. Everything works fine when the windows shares are available. However sometimes the windows samba server goes down and the windows shares are not available. On my /home/<userID> directory I created a soft link to a mount point. When the windows share are down, simply typing "ls" in my "/home/<userID>" directory causes the system to have a very very slow response. Even the nautilus file manager that I use hangs up. I was wondering how I could solve this problem. The response because so slow that I can not work anymore in a convenient way on my computer. Anyone any suggestion on how to solve this problem ?
Thanks
RR