Re: PPP / ADSL / demand / GUI prompt question

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 08:15:25PM -0700, stephen2eq@yahoo.com wrote:
> --- On Sat, 10/31/09, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> > Maybe I missed something in a previous post.  If you
> > don't have
> > ethernet, then how are you connecting to the dsl
> > modem?  USB?
>
> Yes USB to ADSL modem to POTS.  I think your suggestion of buying a
> router was still valid however, I found several recommendations to do
> this when I was Googling to find out how to get pon and poff working.
> However I was and am determined that I shouldn't need to buy any more
> hardware than Windows has needed, and I felt vindicated in this when I
> did get pon and poff working.

Assuming your USB-ADSL modem does not need funkey firmware binary
loaded, you may get this system working.

If your so called "USB-ADSL modem" is internally combination of
"USB-ethernet" adapter plus "ADSL modem", you just need to enable
supporting kernel module for "USB-ethernet" adapter and use pppoeconf.

I guess you may need usbnet module.

http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/

Good luck.

Osamu

> With that I now have almost everything I want, so the case for buying
> more hardware is even weaker now than it was when I started out.  I
> could even put 'pon' in the initrc file (or whatever it's called these
> days), or perhaps in users' .profiles, so that nobody would need to
> type it explicitly.  However I would prefer to get the 'demand'
> feature working - since it is supposed to work, and it is cooler - and
> I also still like the idea of having a GUI dialog.  Maybe it's because
> I have used Windows for too long and have developed Stockholm
> syndrome, but I like the way it lets me see, and approve, connection
> attempts.

I do not understand what you mean but posting model number or doing
googling on it may help you.

Also, please read basics at

 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

Osamu