Re: Reading from a .tgz takes a long long time

Since tgz is .tar.gz (a tar file compressed via gzip) there is no
surprise that it's slow to get a single file from it. The whole
tarball will be decompressed first and it's definitely expensive.
If you have enough space on your hdd you can store a plain tarball
instead of compressed file - that should work faster. It's also worth
splitting a single archive into multiple files. E.g. you can store
your /home in home.tgz and your /etc (which is small) in a separate
etc.tar file.

Alexey