Re: apache on debian

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 03:54:52PM -0400, S. Fishpaste wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:57:10 -0400, Rick Pasotto in gmane.linux.debian.user wrote:
> > Where is the best place for me to ask questions about running apache on
> > my debian system? For the most part everything is working fine but there
> > are a few anomolies I'd like to get cleared up.
>
> Probably here. What's the issue(s) ?

I thought I had but evidently I hit 'r' instead of 'L' so it didn't go to the list.

There are three but maybe two of them are related.

1) Recently I've started to get a lot of this error:

 ALERT - canary mismatch on efree() - heap overflow detected (attacker
 '64.12.116.75', file '/var/www/org/acc-tm/index.php')

Evidently all this is really telling me is that there is an error in one
of the apache modules. There seems to be controversy as to whether this
is really useful information since there is no clue as to *which* module
is causing the problem.

2) *Sometimes* a page is not passed through the php interpreter so the
browser gets a php document that it doesn't know what to do with.
Canceling that error message requester and immediately trying the page
again works as it should.

The above two may be related. The first started a few weeks ago and the
occurance of the second significantly increased recently though it did
rarely happen before.

3) When I (re)start apache I get the warning:

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using niof.net for ServerName

I have several virtual sites installed, including niof.net. This error
doesn't seem to be causing a problem but I'd like to get rid of the
message and I don't know which config lines conflict or are wrong.

Can you help?

BTW, I keep up2date using 'testing'.

--
The most successful war seldom pays for its losses.
	-- Thomas Jefferson