dependency based boot sequencing

I'm using apt 0.7.23.1.
I did an apt-get dist-upgrade
I received the following error messages:

Setting up sysv-rc (2.87dsf-3) ...
info: Checking if it is safe to convert to dependency based boot.
error: Unable to migrate to dependency based boot sequencing.

The error message invoked a screen with a verbose explanation but the
essessence of it was the following packages removed were not purged.

sysv-rc is prevented from being configured and dependency based boot
sequencing is not possible.

Here's the list of packages that should have been purged

<sic> The following problems were detected:

acpid removed by not  purged
alsa-utils removed by not purged
at removed by not purged
aumix-gtk removed by not purged
avahi-daemon removed by not purged
caudium removed by not purged
console-tools removed by not purged
cron removed by not purged
debtorrent removed by not purged
klogd removed by not purged
mysql-server-5.0 removed by not purged
nas removed by not purged
nfs-common removed by not purged
ntp removed by not purged
nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx removed by not purged
randomsound removed by not purged
sane-utils removed by not purged
sysklogd removed by not purged
insserv: warning: script  'K20nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx' missing LSB tags and
overrides,

Some questions: is there a command in dpkg to purge these package related
files 'after' the package has been removed?

What are the missing LSB tags and overrides in the script

Is there something I can use in: dpkg -- force?

If sysv-rc can find all these errors that prevents itself from being
configured why doesn't 'it' purge the offending files and get on with it?

Thanks,

--
CK