Re: Websites which insist upon Adobe Acrobat

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Charles<debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
> I have run across several websites lately which insist they cannot
> download PDF files to you because you don't have Adobe Acrobat
> installed.
> I had a look in /usr/bin and there are symlinks named Acrobat,
> Acroread, Adobe Reader, and Adobe Reader 8.1.3. All except Acroread
> point to /usr/bin/evince.
>  How can I "fool" these websites (including
> the Quebec government site) into thinking Adobe is on my machine?

The sites are probably looking for a suitable plugin.  If you're
lucky, they're not specifically looking for Adobe's plugin. In that
case, you might be able to install mozplugger and tell it to handle
PDF with a custom script that just writes the file to /tmp.  No, I
don't have such a script, and I haven't verified that this will work.
You could also point mozplugger to evince, which might even be in the
default configuration.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh