Re: Reporting List Mail As SPAM

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 05:45:55PM EDT, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 September 2009 20:15:38 Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Neal Hogan<nealhogan@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > FYI -- The above message was spammed by gmail (I know, I know . . .
> > > another reason to hate gmail.) I suspect I get most of your posts. I
> > > don't know why this one was marked as spam. Guess: "spam" was in the
> > > subject.
> >
> > It wasn't marked as spam here; neither was the reply.
>
> Nor here - and I use Gmail (via POP3, but still Gmail).

Hmm.. if I understand correctly, and assuming gmail has anything to do
with it.. it would only take _one_ particular user's gmail spam filter
settings to reject it as spam - and report it - for this to have
happened. Maybe depending on Google's idea or your interests, profile,
etc., their spam filter might be different than mine and one day
determine that you were spamming, or even as recently happened to me
forging your own From: address.. :-)

I recently subscribed to a mailing list from a gmail account and found a
couple days later that more than half of the list's traffic, including
my own posts.. ended up in the google account's "Spam" folder - and as a
result never materialized on my system.

As far as I know, gmail's spam filter doesn't have any settings you
could customize, so I disabled it.

Obviously, this is not going to help much if the OP's problem was indeed
caused by someone-somewhere's google spam filter.

CJ