Re: Is there a central depository so that I can download all the source packages?

Hi !

Niu Kun wrote:
Peng Yu ??:
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Niu Kun<haoniukun@gmail.com> wrote:
Peng Yu ??:
Hi,

I need to install packages from source because I don't have a root
account on my machine. So far I found the following websites, but they
certainly do not have all the source code packages.

http://linux.softpedia.com/
http://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Software/

Can somebody let me know where I can download all the source code in
Debian?

Regards,
Peng

Add "deb-src" to your apt-get list.
Then you can use "apt-get source `package-name`" to get the source of your
target package.

My linux is redhat, which does not have apt-get. Where I can download
apt-get source code?

Regards,
Peng

Then you come to the wrong mail list.

In similar situation, I make a list of softwares that I really need
and that are not installed, then I install the listed ones the hard
way with GNU tools. The fist step is to set up a relevant `config.site',
which is used by autotools (namely <SOURCE>/configure).
An alternative is to contact the root and kindly ask him to install
the missing softwares. You can ask to be the root too, namely to
install Debian on the computer and being the root.

Jerome

--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net