Re: wi-fi security?

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 07:45:48AM -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
> Got a new laptop and was wondering about wifi security. I've never
> used wifi before. I wanted to go to some of the local coffee shops
> that offer free wii but I need to know:
>
> 1) How do I setup wifi in Linux?

The easiest way is to use network-manager.  If you click on the Icon
in your toolbar it should show you the detected networks.  You can use
the "Create New Wireless Network..." or "Connect to Hidden Wireless
Network..." to set up connections.

> 1) How do I detect and connect to public free network(s)?

See the previous answer.

> 2) How do I make my laptop more secure so others on wifi network can't
> steal or sniff my packets?

When you use a network that is not using a wpa-protocol it is more
vulnerable.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live; yet
      not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I
      now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son
      of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."
                               Galatians 2:20