Re: Network concerns and configuration draft 4

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:57:28 -0400
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> That's true.  But at least around where I live, those ISPs that
> offer static IPs for a small surcharge are smaller, cheaper, and
> offer better service.  Then again, those tend to not filter any
> ports even with dynamic IPs, so you wouldn't need a static IP with
> them.
>
> Those who charge a lot for static IPs (and/or reserve them for their
> "business" customers) tend to be much larger ISPs who don't care
> much about their residential customers (they rely on heavy
> marketing to lure them in, rather than on the quality of their
> service).
>
> To me disallowing running servers is pretty close to the issue of
> net-neutrality, so I prefer to stay away from such ISPs.
>

>         Stefan

I have a large provider.  I paid $100 up front for my static IPs
(/28), and no monthly fee.  New customers don't get the deal.

--
Raquel
When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when

  --Benjamin Franklin