Re: Back up routines

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 02:21:21AM -0400, Scott Gifford wrote:
> Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> writes:
>
> > On 2009-07-27_17:55:18, Eric Gerlach wrote:
> [...]
>  >> Oh, and S3 storage is cheap.  $0.15/GB/mo, plus $0.10/GB upload/download.
>
> [...]
>
> > Renting is easier, but I wonder how long the web based services will
> > be in business.
>
> S3 is run by Amazon, and Amazon has been around for longer than most
> hard drives I've had.  Even if Amazon went bankrupt every 5 years, it
> would still have an MTBF comparable to most hard drives.  :-)

Yeah, I'm hardly worried that Amazon is going to go out of business.  And if
JungleDisk does, well I have their open-source decrypter downloaded for just
such an occasion.  Given that they were bought by RackSpace, though, I'm not
worried about that either.

If you want to TNO, go ahead, but in the real world I don't need that.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 01:32:36AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2009-07-28 01:21, Scott Gifford wrote:
> >Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> writes:
> >
> >>On 2009-07-27_17:55:18, Eric Gerlach wrote:
> >[...]
> >Oh, and S3 storage is cheap.  $0.15/GB/mo, plus $0.10/GB upload/download.
>
> A 1TB HDD from NewEgg is $0.085/GB once, and you own it, and
> $0.00/GB to upload/download.  2TB drives are the "outrageous" price
> of $0.115/GB.

Sure.  Let's go with 1TB for $90.  Now I have to make sure the client brings
the drive in, backs up, and takes it home every day.  Try explaining to them
why that isn't worth the $3/mo that that Amazon charges them.  You won't be
getting paid for that consulting advice, that's for sure.

Also, at $3/mo, that's almost three years before I've paid the equivalent
amount of a 1 TB drive.  Plus, you have to spend the money up front, and with
an opportunity cost of 10%, that extends the repayment time to 35 months.
That's near the end of the warranty.  I'm not going to keep vital backups on a
HD that old.

JungleDisk isn't about HD failure backup.  It's about off-site backup, while
being painless for the person using it.

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator