Re: [OT] GNU - Linux and Debian.......

In <[🔎] 20090722224953.GA29150@codelibre.net>, Roger Leigh wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:19:51AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> Debian doesn't *create* much software.[1]  They do a lot of packaging
>> and bug-wrangling, but Debian depends on upstream being available to add
>> features, write new software, and fix non-packaging non-security bugs.
>>
>> [1] Technically, Debian doesn't create any software, but many Debian
>> Developers do create software either in their role as DDs or as part of
>> other projects.
>
>I disagree here.  Debian is upstream as well as distributor for quite
>a lot of software.

If by "quite a lot" you mean "less than 5% of main", then yes.  That's just
going off of the number of packages that use native packaging, so it has
flaws.  Some "upstream == Debian" packages are non-native, some native
packages don't have Debian as upstream.  Let me know if you can think of a
better (scriptable) way to determine if a package has Debian as upstream.

>I write software specifically for Debian as a
>Debian Developer (schroot, sbuild and other bits).  I'd say that those
>were created by Debian, as is all software created by DDs in their
>project role.

Debian did not remunerate those developers for that specific effort, nor
does it (as an organization) hold any legal claim to the software.

That's all I meant by "Debian doesn't create much software".  I wasn't
trying to discount the software written by DDs to satisfy Debian needs.
(/me loves my cowbuilder setups.)