[Solved] The Debian way for ondemand cpufreq governor

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:59:04 +0000, T o n g wrote:

>>> . . . I have to do 'modprobe powernow-k8' and change the cpufreq
>>> governor from performance to ondemand each time after I reboot. . .

The simple solution is to install 'cpufrequtils', then *reboot*
(cpufrequtils enables CPUFreq at boot time if the correct cpu
driver is found).

>> . . . my preferred package is 'powernowd'. . .  IT seems to do a good
>> job of managing the demand governor and I don't recall having to do
>> anything special for it to work.
>
> Nope, having installed 'powernowd' and reboot, I still need to 'modprobe
> powernow-k8' manually.
>
> Do you have 'cpufrequtils' installed as well?

Yep, the magic is 'cpufrequtils', not 'powernowd'.

So the Debian way to enable ondemand cpufreq governor by default
(installing as minimum packages as possible) is (merely) installing
'cpufrequtils'.

cheers

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)