Re: MTA

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 12:52:47PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Wed,08.Jul.09, 01:43:02, lee wrote:
> >
> > Exim gives you control over the resources it uses. This allows you to
> > set up the MTA in such a way that it remains fully operational even
> > when having to deal with enourmous amounts of mail. I don't know if
> > postfix has features like that ...
>
> <flame on>
> Postfix doesn't need such options because it can always deal with
> enormous amounts of mail ;)
> </flame on>

It can't do that when the resources --- disk space, processing power
--- needed are not available. But an MTA can monitor these and adjust
the way it operates accordingly. That way, it can dampen spikes in the
load and continue to operate where it otherwise would be totally
overwhelmed and become unresponsive.

> Actually I have no ideea, but it doesn't really matter. The OP should
> investigate both and choose the one *he* likes better.

Yes --- I guess that's what he's trying to do and what made him ask
his question. And everyone tells him he better figure it out for
himself --- something not easy when you don't know where to start.