Re: When you needed newer software than Sid/Backports provide...

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 10:41:44AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> In <[🔎] 90bb445a0907071607k26d7720fwf19c65e91c501fcd@mail.gmail.com>, Akira
> Kitada wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >I use Lenny for my workstation, where I try new cutting-edge software.
> >
> >My solution for this is easy and typical. Building from source and put
> >it on /usr/local.
> >That way, I can keep stable system while using the latest software.
> >However, it didn't take so long to make /usr/local a mess.
> >There's no easy way to track what I've installed because they're
> >installed manually.
> >It'd be nice if I could manage those software with apt but I suppose
> >that might conflicts with ones Lenny provides.
> >
> >So here's my question. How can you manage new softwares while keeping
> >the system stable?
> >Using packages from backports.org or Sid? Do you build .deb packages
> > yourself? Can you keep the Lenny's intact?

Probably with backports.org, you are OK.
Usually not with Sid....

> http://www.iguanasuicide.net/node/4
>
> You can choose the version from backports, testing, sid, or experimental
> through the aptitude curses interface, or by using 'aptitude install -t
> $release $packages' or 'aptitude install $package=$version'.

"You can install a package" is different from "you can get reliable
system".  This type of reckless comment is dengerous as advise to
general publuc.  (Boyd knowing well, he may be OK) I was once reminden
by other DD when I made similar remarks...

> If Sid/experimental doesn't contain a new enough package for you, find it is
> some other signed repository, add it to your sources.list, set a priority
> (200 maybe?) for it, and add the signing key to your apt keychain.
>
> If it isn't in any signed repository, just install a .deb using dpkg, or an
> .rpm via alien.  If you *have* to compile to software yourself, roll your
> own .deb; it's not that hard to make a minimal one so that the software can
> be easily uninstalled and file conflicts can be detected.

Oh.... you are going too far.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_packages_from_mixed_source_of_archives
Caution
 Installing packages from mixed source of archives is not supported by
 the official Debian distribution except for officially supported
 particular combinations of archives such as stable with security updates
 and volatile updates.

Read more:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html