Re: copy files on drive with bad sector

That, i had done, thanks anyway for the suggestion. But what if the source is 1 GB and the destination drive is 1 GB? Plus, the person who ask me to do the files backup is not even good with windows other than surfing the internet. Not to mention loop mounting the disk image to get datas in it.

I found a program on windows that can transfer files and skip the one in bad sector with commander-like interface and I was just thinking that there might be one quite similar too available for GNU/Linux system. I just hate to install that dreaded operating system just to do this one simple thing.

TIA for any information.

2009/7/5 Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>
Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> Is there any program like midnight commander that i can use to copy
> files from a disk drive with bad sector to another disk. The source
> disk drive is readable but a few files happens to be on bad sectors
> and copying would fail when it reached the bad sector. What i really
> want is a simple copy program that can skip the bad sectors.

Sounds like a task for dd_rescue.

--
reintarnation:
       Coming back to life as a hillbilly.