Re: Salvage a dead IO USB device

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:11:56PM +1000, Adrian Levi wrote:
> 2009/6/26 Bhasker C V <bhasker@unixindia.com>:
> > Is it possible
> > that I can reset this state so that I can re-connect the USB device and
> > it can take the same device name (say sda). What I do not mean by this is I
> > do not want to recover any data from the dead device. All I want is
> > to use/salvage the dvice names.
>
> The only way I know to fix such issues is to reboot. I would be
> surprised if this was the only way to repair such issues in linux land
> being that there are usually 20 ways to do the same task and Unix-like
> people have such disdain for rebooting! Thinking about it now, I
> suppose you might try rmmod the device module. This makes it difficult
> if your root (or any other) partition are also using the same driver.

That seems to be an unsolved issue, i. e. there's no other way known
than to reboot. If there's another solution, I'd really like to know
how to tell the system that the device is gone and how to free the
device name.

Maybe there's some sort of force option --- if there isn't, there
should be one. Once a mounted device is disconnected, it's not going
to come back anyway.