maximise application goes right under gnome's bottom panel

Hiya

Im running debian testing and gnome. But i dont think that im running testing has anything to do with my little problem.

If I maximise an application or console, the bottom of the application goes right under gnome's bottom panel. The only way I can see the bottom is if I goto the properties of the bottom panel, enable show hide buttons and then click the left or right arrow.

Anyone know how I can correct this setting.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark