Force the kernel to use generic ide driver

I am using a Etch and a half kernel 2.6.24 on my Debian Lenny system. This kernel does not have the IDE driver for my chipset. However, I do remember that if the native IDE driver is not present, then the generic ide driver is loaded. However, in my case Debian does not load the generic ide driver and it gets stuck at the message:

"Waiting for root filesysyem".

Does anybody know how can I force the 2.6.24 kernel to load the generic ide driver for my IDE chipset?

Thanks

Kushal Koolwal

P.S. I also posted this question here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/using-generic-ide-driver-737011/