the ever present wireless problem

I'm running a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router hard wired to a desktop and a Dell D600 with a Broadcom BCM5705M ethernet controller and Lenny. I'm having a problem getting The Dell to work with wireless. The desktop will stay wired. I upgraded the firmware to the latest Linksys release (4.30.12). After jumping through too many hoops to enumerate here, some of which I can't even remember, I finally got it to work.....for a day and a half when it dropped the connection and from then on refused to connect to the router with wireless. The wired connection continued to work.

Ifconfig and iw config detected eth1 and the network was detected but it wouldn't connect. I dumped Network Manager and tried wicd wih the same results. Wicd said it was hung on getting the ip. Later it stopped connecting wired as well. At that point I tried the DD-WRT firmware which restored the wired connection ability but didn't detect any networks. Went back to Linksys firmware, upgraded to 4.30.12.3. Retained the wired connection ability but still no network detection. No eth1 in ifconfig or iwconfig.

R'ing the FMs, running searches, and posting to the local LUG and the Ubuntu (which I was using at the time) lists yielded some diagnostic pointers but nothing that got
me connected.

Any suggestions, ideas, pointers, or derisive comments appreciated before I see if I can achieve orbital velocity with this router.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,