Re: How do you get iceweasel (or another browser) to save what otherwise the flashplayer plays?

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:44:15AM +0100, thveillon.debian wrote:
> lee wrote:
> > On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 06:10:58PM +0100, thveillon.debian wrote:
> >> If you tweak you flashplayer not to cache content locally, just tweak it
> >> back using the setting panel from Adobe there :
> >>
> >> http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
> >>
> >> the image in the upper right part of the page is a setting panel, what
> >> you set there is set locally on your computer in ~/.macromedia/.
> >
> > That is interesting, I haven't given them permission to access that
> > information. How do I protect myself against that kind of spying?
> >

> Change your settings and don't allow storage of any data locally

It doesn't store visited sites then?

Anyway, it would work against me in that I'm trying to achieve that
the data be stored locally so that I can watch without
interruption.

And I don't know what other information is eventually being
transmitted without my permission, regardless of the settings. Calling
this player a security hole (or saying it has severe security issues)
would be an understatement. Software like that should be illegal ---
if it not already is.

> (of course the /tmp trick won't work anymore), write a script to "rm
> -r" ~/.macromedia when you close your browser, or every 15mn,
> whatever. Use something like "bleachbit" (available in repo).

What I need is a content scanner that continuously monitors all
outgoing connections and alarms me in case some information is being
sent I don't want to be sent.

> Do your browsing from a live-cd, or a virtual machine and wipe the
> snapshot afterward.

not possible

> Bind-mount a flash disk partition on "~/.macromedia"
> on startup, this way there's nothing left on you disk.

I only restart when contact to one of the disks is lost (which is
probably a hardware problem with that disk) or when it seems a good
idea after an update that brought in a lot of new software: every two
months or less, maybe.

> Use Firefox
> "better privacy" extension, it can wipe the .macromedia content
> automatically.

Does that work with iceweasel? Even if it does, I keep the browser
running until the flashplayer crashes.

> Use "flashblock", "noscript", or don't use flash altogether...

Then how do I watch videos? I only installed that player recently
because I found I didn't have another choice. I always hated that
player, and since I'm using it, I hate it even more. Once I'm done
with watching, I'll remove it, but installing and uninstalling it all
the time isn't a good option, either.

> On the wild wild web privacy is a lost word, security an illusion.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that anyone should have to accept spyware
like that. At least there should be a big, fat security warning that
the player is spyware when installing it.