Re: Why does the laptop battery last longer with Windows than with Debian?

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Kaixi Luo <kaixiluo@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
I'm a new Linux user  (currently using Debian 5 testing) and I've noticed that the battery of my laptop used to last much longer with Windows Vista (4 hours)  than with Debian (2.5 hours). How's that possible?I mean, Debian uses much less RAM (250 MB) than Vista (1 GB).

Also, is there anything I can do to improve my laptop battery life?

You may consider doing the following:

As a normal user, run the command "tasksel --list-tasks" and ensure that "laptop" has an "i" in the first column (as opposed to a "u").  If it has a "u" then run "tasksel --install-task laptop" as root.

Installing the laptop task will install the following packages:

acpi-support
hibernate
acpi
powertop
apmd
radeontool
anacron
wireless-tools
cpufrequtils
nvclock
wpasupplicant
vbetool
acpid
pcmciautils
toshset
bluetooth
avahi-autoipd

This will set up various laptop friendly utilities including advanced power management support.

You can research what each package on this list does, of course, and pick and choose them on your own individually.

Good luck!

--
Chris