Re: network configuration for Eth0

On Sat,02.May.09, 05:38:38, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> well, that seems to work.
> part of the problem was 2 files I had worked on that did give me
> errors, and I removed them. 1 was ipv6,

Do yo mean the module? If you don't want it loaded (though I have it and
there are no problems) just blacklist it in a file (ex. 00local.conf)
under /etc/modprobe.d/ with

blacklist ipv6

> the other was an iptables entry. I was trying to add an iptables entry
> to allow ssh & http ports. I can get this to work from a shell script,

I saw in the (sniped) output above that you also use firestarter. I
don't think it's a good idea to mix firewall frontends with custom rules
in some script. Pick one and stick to it.

If firestarter can't do what you need (or don't know how to configure
it) just ask for help, there are many others (personally I prefer
shorewall, it's quite easy to setup and very powerful).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)