Re: Exploit in Upgrade Chain?

Stan Katz wrote, on 13/02/09 14:44:
Mystery solved. Samba wants to protect smbpasswd with mode 600. User must
point Samba to password path. Sample smb.conf that loaded during last lenny
upgrade pointed to /etc., not /etc/samba/smbpasswd. Maybe I missed a prompt
during the upgrade to fully qualify the path. Maybe there wasn't any?

I didn't find this problem listed in the Debian bug tracker or the Samba bug tracker in a quick search. Did you report or find this problem in either the Debian or the Samba bug tracker?

If anyone finds a bug like this, it is worth reporting, if only to save someone else the amount of time that you spent tracking it down.