Re: No soft-links for scp?

Dotan Cohen:
> 2009/2/26 Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>:
>> Dotan Cohen:
>>>
>>> I need to softlink to files on a remote machine on my home network. It
>>> appears that scp does not support softlinks. Is there another way to
>>> do this?
>>
>> Not directly. Softlinks always point to filesystems in your local
>> hierarchy. A workaround is to use sshfs (or NFS or any other network
>> filesystem).
>
> Thanks, Jochen. This document [1] leads me to believe that hard links
> must be on the same file system (as they are referring to inodes)
> while soft links can be on remote file systems (because they only
> contain the path to a different file).

You are mixing things up. A filesystem resides on a storage medium or on
a remote server. But to have access to any filesystem, you always have
to mount it into your local folder hierarchy. Only of you do that, you
have access to paths inside that filesystem and only then you can
symlink to these paths.

J.
--
I often play sports / do exercise.