Strange arp problem

I've posted about this before, but I still have no solution.

I have a machine with an Atheros WiFi card.  From lspci:

02:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213
Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor (rev 01)

>From dmesg:

ath5k phy0: Atheros AR2414 chip found (MAC: 0x79, PHY: 0x45)

The card is supported by the in-kernel ath5k driver; I have previously
used it with Madwifi.

I frequently see that arp fails on the machine.  The card continues to
function; I can access the internet via my home router, and I can even
(sometimes) ssh into it from the internet (the router forwards port 22
to that machine), but any attempt to connect to it from the local
wireless network times out, and looking at the other machine's arp
table indicates that arp is failing (table shows 'incomplete').
Manually adding an arp entry with 'arp -s ip_addr mac_addr' fixes the
problem, at least for a while.  What could be causing this?  I believe
that I have experienced this problem even when the card was controlled
by Madwifi.  Could this be a hardware issue?

Celejar