Re: mount foo.img problem

On Saturday 07 February 2009 13:37:46 Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:44:47AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:31:17 Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > What must I do to be able to mount this image file?
> > Could you run "file debxo-awesome.ext3.img" can provide the output?
> dragon:/data/olpc# file debxo-awesome.ext3.img
> debxo-awesome.ext3.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active,
> starthead 1, startsector 32, 3848160 sectors dragon:/data/olpc# exit

It looks like it is a whole-disk image -- the first part of it appears to be
an MBR.  You'll need to use some loopback parameters to skip the MBR and
partition table.  I think you only need to skip 512 bytes... could you try:
tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
and see if that reports that it found an ext3 filesystem.

> The image was meant to be transfered to a USB device but the
> instructions said that if the device was less than 2 Gb it could be loop
> mounted as ext3 in order to copy the guts of the image to a smaller USB
> device.

It can be, but in this case it's not as simple as just using the loop mount
option, unfortunately.  You'll probably need just the additional offset
option.  Once we find the offset, things should be "easy"; although, after you
move the files over, you'll also want to dd the MBR over as well.