Re: where is bind9's named_dump.db

Glenn English said the following on 2/3/2009 3:35 PM:
> I'm trying to look at the cache of my nameserver, and it keeps saying:
>
>> Feb  3 15:54:03 log named[20519]: received control channel command 'dumpdb'
>> Feb  3 15:54:03 log named[20519]: could not open dump file 'named_dump.db': permission denied
>
> A longer pathname would be nice. I'm assuming there's a directory
> missing somewhere.
>
> Bind9 isn't running chrooted; access to the zone files is fine, and
> there's only a single copy of each of them on the computer.
>
> 'named_dump.db' (or any other dump.db) doesn't exist anywhere on the
> computer. There's nothing in the configuration about where to put the
> dump file,
>
> This is a vanilla Debian install of a recursive, caching nameserver on a
> DMZ.
>
> Bind was saying it couldn't set the modify times of the slave zones
> because of 'permission denied' until I deleted the files, changed the
> serial on the master, and had the master notify.
>
> Google tells me that the dump is written into /var/tmp, /var/named, and
> someplace else I've forgotten. I created and/or set permissions on those
> directories to 777. Same failure.
>
> Any guidance will be greatly appreciated...

I found this which may help:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:LxjQIPz3oNgJ:zytrax.com/books/dns/ch7/hkpng.html+named_dump.db+path&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a

dump-file

 dump-file path_name;

dump-file is a quoted string defining the absolute path where BIND dumps
the database (cache) in response to a rndc dumpdb. If not specified, the
default is named_dump.db in the location specified by a directory
option. This option may only be specified in a 'global' options statement.

https://www.isc.org/software/bind/documentation/arm94

Sample Configurations
A Caching-only Name Server

The following sample configuration is appropriate for a caching-only
name server for use by clients internal to a corporation. All queries
from outside clients are refused using the allow-query option.
Alternatively, the same effect could be achieved using suitable firewall
rules.

// Two corporate subnets we wish to allow queries from.
acl corpnets { 192.168.4.0/24; 192.168.7.0/24; };
options {
     directory "/etc/namedb";           // Working directory
     allow-query { corpnets; };
};

dump-file

    The pathname of the file the server dumps the database to when
instructed to do so with rndc dumpdb. If not specified, the default is
named_dump.db.

So, based on this, you specify where it resides in the config file with
a "directory" option.

- Ken