Re: AD-like environment under Linux

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 February 2009 05:12:09 Aneurin Price wrote:
>> However, I don't know of any system quite like roaming profiles for
>> Linux. NFS /home isn't really the same in the general case because it
>> relies on a constant connection between client and server, or things will
>> be bad.
>
> AFS /home then.  There are network filesystems other than NFS.
>
>> For something like a laptop, or any non-high-availability
>> situation, what's really needed is NFS with transparent local caching,
>> and so far as I'm aware it doesn't exist, presumably because the
>> synchronisation would be a bitch. If it *does* exist in usable form, I
>> would be grateful to hear about it!
>
> Start with AFS, and then also investigate the various forks that have
> support on Linux.  You might find one to meet your needs.  (I think all of
> them as dependent on being able to get Kerberos credentials, so *some*
> connectivity is required.)

I seem to recall discounting AFS for some reaason which I can't remember,
and which may no longer be relevant. Of interest to me is the approach to
update conflict resolution, which seems to require user input in the general
case, and then opens further questions on a multi-user system, like who the
system should ask for help. From what I could tell from a quick Google, that
appears to be an area that's still under development (in OpenAFS at least).
Anyway I will take another look at this.

Nye