Re: Use of Swap Space

On 02/03/2009 05:01 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
 > On 02/01/2009 10:04 AM, Mirko Scurk wrote:
 > [snip]
 >>
 >> Could it be that 32-bit Debian can't access rest of memory?
 >>

 > That would only be an issue if he could only see (I think) 2GB of his
 > 4GB RAM.

Really?
The only system on which I've >3Gb of ram and a 32bit OS is my Windows laptop, and that reports 3.5Gb of the ~4Gb that's in there. I've no idea how to get a less-rounded number for it out of Windows.

That's a design issue (I think) specific to Windows. Has to do with the decision to map video card RAM into regular address space (even on machines with discreet video cards).

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA