Re: does debian have other utilities similar to multicd ??

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:48:54AM EST, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 11:45:31PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> > One thing that put me off a bit was that I thought my laptop was
> > going to catch fire.  I think it went over 80C at one point! It's
> > clearly stated in the manual, actually. Whatever is does, it sure
> > seems like mondo knows how to make the most of whatever resources it
> > can grab.

> If your laptop overheats from that, this is not the only problem you
> have.

No .. I blew a head gasket a few days ago and there went the money for
the new laptop.

$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/trip_points

critical (S5):           115 C
active[0]:               86 C: devices=FAN1
active[1]:               76 C: devices=FAN0

I'm not sure where acpi got the idea I have two fans .. I've taken the
laptop apart a couple of times and like it says in the manual, I only
ever saw one :-)

Makes me suspect that with no chance of FAN1 ever kicking in, it might
go from 86C to 115C in a jiffy.

Of course, since acpi on my machine appears to be suffering from double
vision.. I guess I shouldn't believe {every | any}thing it's telling me.

Or scour the acpi doc for an explanation?

[..]

Thanks!

CJ