Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Thursday 01 January 2009, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote about 'Re: OT: laptop recomendations':
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On Wednesday 2008 December 10 16:45:09 Micha Feigin wrote:
>>>Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking
>>> at the drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which
>>> isn't up to par with the synaptic).
>>
>> I'm happy with my Dell Inspiron E1505.  My roommate is happy with his
>> more recent laptop purchase from Dell.  My other roommate likes his
>> Thinkpad, but it is a much older system, so I can't say that reflects
>> the quality of current Thinkpads.
>
>I own a Dell Inspiron E1505. I do not recommend it. Get something else
>(preferably non-Dell).
>
>I always have problems with their batteries, video card. No matter how
> many times I replace the batteries, they seem to go bad after some time.
> I replaced the battery 3 times. After 3-4 months the battery life will
> be reduced to less than 1 hour and then after some time, they just don't
> work.

I'm still using the original battery, although I did get a spare for when I
will eventually wear out.  It depends on what I'm doing, but 4 hours of
battery life is not unheard of, nearly 1.5 years after the purchase date.

Running the DVD drive constantly *significantly* reduces that, but I can
still use it for at least 90 minutes watching a DVD while running on the
battery.

>As for the video card, if I play a flash based movie in windows XP, there
>will be a "blue screen memory map" error after some time. FWIW, the
> movies work fine in Linux. I searched in google for this and found that
> the video cards in Dell Inspiron E1505 are defective.

Link please?

I'd never even consider installing MS Windows on mine, but I've never had a
video-card related kernel panic or even X crash.  I've played plenty of
flash-based video in Linux.  The card / drivers don't seem to like each
other a whole lot though.  My Etch/Lenny mix I had on it until Dec. 8th
needed to be switched to a test-mode VC and back before it would display
anything after a resume.  The openSUSE 11.1 (for work I need turnpike and
the Novell/Nortel plugin) I'm running on it right now appears to do that
for me.

>In general, I think Dell's hardware is unreliable. They work fine
> initially. But after 1 year or so, things start to fall apart. This is
> if you plan to use laptop intensively (say 8-10 hours a day). But if you
> just use it for 1-2 hours a day, then it's life might be more.

Mine is a work laptop.  I generally use it 8 hours, 5 days a week.  It gets
even more use if I've got some problems with my desktop, up to ~12 hours,
7 days a week.

The only hardware-related problem I had with it was a "stuck *row*" in the
LCD panel.  I lived with it for a while, even using it as a guide for how
I partitioned my desktop with windows (to hide it in the window borders).
However, when I finally got around to calling Dell, they replaced the LCD
panel with no cost to me, sending a technician w/ parts to my workplace so
downtime was minimal.

Anyway, I'm not sure my experience with a laptop is "norm".  You probably
should get multiple (>3) opinions on vendors/models you are considering.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))