Re: Change Package Dependencies

On Wed,30.Dec.09, 09:37:16, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Is there any possibility to overrule the package dependencies without
> modifying the package source?
>
> Reason for asking: I do not need to have doc packages installed on all
> of my servers.  But some packages simply insist on installing their
> doc package too.

Could you please point to concrete packages? I doubt any package will
*depend* on the respective -doc package, but will rather *recommend* it.

There are many ways to deal with this, here are 3 I know of:

1. (My preferred way for desktop machines) in aptitude's interactive
mode you can easily choose not to install a recommended package

2. Invoke your package manager with the relevant switch for one-time
installation without recommends

3. set

APT::Install-Recommends "false";

in /etc/apt/apt.conf to globally disable installation of recommends.

Beware though that, since lenny, apt installs recommends by default and
some packages will be missing important functionality as some of the
previous depends have been moved to recommends (they were not strictly
required for the package to work).

Regards,
Andrei