Best Keeps Getting Bigger

On 2009-12-29 at15:47:41 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Built kernel 2.6.32.3. Get 2.6.32EBDA too big, overlaps lilo 2nd stage image
> or something like that. This is a non-initrd kernel.
>
> Do I have to go back to an initrd (stopped using it because of all those yaird
> problems)?
>
> Or is there a lilo parameter I can increase to make room?

David,

First of all, according to some posts I have seen elsewhere, "EBDA too big"
messages often result when the kernel is updated but lilo is not run.
First try to boot your system from the old kernel (or a rescue CD, if need
be) and re-run lilo manually, just in case the install script for your
new kernel didn't run it.  That may do the trick.

Secondly, there is a lilo option called "large-memory" that may help.
By default, lilo assumes that both the kernel and the initial RAM disk
must load below the 15M line.  The "large-memory" option may allow the
kernel to load above the 16M line.  I know it works for the initial RAM
disk.  I'm not sure if it works for the kernel itself.  The option is
not enabled by default because older BIOSes don't support it.  If your
BIOS date is 2001 or newer, it will probably work.  Also, lilo itself must
be new enough to support the "large-memory" option.  The man page for
lilo.conf should tell you that.  See if the option is documented there.
If all the conditions for support are there, add the "large-memory"
option to /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo (as root, of course).  Then try
to boot your new kernel again.

Regards,
Steve