Re: Re: Ugly VGA fonts with console-setup (Squeeze)

On 2009-12-28 at 00:24:48 +0100, Tom H wrote,
> What I found interesting about this thread is that the OP found a
> non-grub2 way of restoring his boot-up look in spite of using grub2...

> I assume that he has set "GRUB_TERMINAL=console" in
> "/etc/default/grub" (or "terminal console" in /boot/grub/grub.cfg")
> when he made the "/etc/default/console-setup" changes that he posted
> earlier, rather than go the "terminal gfxterm", etc way.

Actually, what I did was to de-install grub (as referred to by Squeeze,
grub2 as referred to by Lenny) and install lilo instead.  I thought
about going back to grub-legacy (as referred to by Squeeze, grub as
referred to by Lenny).  I knew that the original grub would support
the vga option, including vga=ask; but I was afraid that some script
would see an "update-grub" command on the system and assume that
grub (as referred to by Squeeze, grub2 as referred to by Lenny)
was installed, when in reality grub-legacy (as referred to by Squeeze,
grub as referred to by Lenny) was installed.  So I installed lilo
instead.  lilo supports the vga option, including vga=ask, does
everything that I need it to do, and does not result in any confusion,
either on my part or the part of install scripts, as to which version
of grub is installed.  Subsequent posters have suggested ways to get
grub (as referred to by Squeeze, grub2 as referred to by Lenny) to
set the video mode; but by then I had already solved that part of the problem
another way and didn't wish to tear up the pea patch again.  (If it
isn't broken, don't fix it!)

The other half of the problem, that of loading the desired font, I
was able to accomplish with console-setup, thanks to the help of
Dave Witbrodt.