query about history management in bash

Dear friends,
Consider following situation -

We write a lot commands, and make many typing errors. (e.g typed s instead of ls, eco instead of echo and so on). These miss-typed commands are also saved in history and create unnecessary crowd in the HISTFILE. Is there any way to avoid this? More precisely, something that can decide whether to save a command based on its exit status, or if $0 (in language of bash) is an existing command.

I did basic homework of searching the manpages of bash, history and also google a bit, but didn't find anything useful.

Thanks in advance :-)

Rajarshi