Re: Re: Ugly VGA fonts with console-setup (Squeeze)

On 2009-12-23 at 22:01:49 -0500, Dave Witbrodt wrote:
> What did the 'console-setup' documentation say about setting fonts?
>
> Did you at least read the comments in '/etc/default/console-setup'?

I configured the package with

   dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

and there was nothing in the configuration that allowed me to use
any legacy fonts.

I did not know about the configuration file /etc/default/console-setup.
I could not find much in the way of documentation.

   man console-setup

indicated that there was no such man page.

   apropos console-setup

produced no hits.  The "Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO" is out-of-date
and contains nothing on the console-setup package.  The files in
/usr/share/doc/console-setup weren't much help either, though I did
learn some things there.

But you pointed me to the one place that documents how to do it:
the comments in /etc/default/console-setup.  In that file I changed

FONTFACE="VGA"
FONTSIZE="14"

FONTFACE=""
FONTSIZE=""

then I added

FONT=lat1u-14.psf.gz

(I didn't have to specify the directory: /usr/share/consolefonts.)
I made sure that I had kbd installed instead of console-tools, so
that the font would only be set once (by console-setup).  I used
vga=3846 in the boot loader to get the 80x34 text video mode, which
requires a 14-point font.  That did the trick!  I now have my old,
familiar, nice-looking lat1u fonts back.  Thanks for your help!