Re: building a custom kernel-WAS: Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

On Fri December 25 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> 18MB?  Yikes!  Am I reading that correctly?  My latest custom kernel is:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 root src  1.5M Dec  8 13:29
> linux-image-2.6.31.1_custom.greer.sata.1.3_i386.deb

ok, so I go through and delete stuff ( make menuconfig). When I get to an
entry that I can't figure out, google is useless, where do I go?

like- MISC devices- Enclosure Services.
Wha??
TI Flash MEdia Interface support (EXPERIMENTAL) It won't let me uncheck it.
for my HD, I think I have a SATA drive, lsmod says:
cdrom                  30176  1 sr_mod
sd_mod                 22200  10
ahci                   23596  8
libata                140448  1 ahci
scsi_mod              129548  5 sg,usb_storage,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata
dock                    8304  1 libata
uhci_hcd               18672  0
ehci_hcd               28428  0

so I need to include all of these:
Generic ATA disk support
ATA disk support
Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
??
or is my DVD/CDROM a SCSI device..
K3B shows:
HL-DT-ST GSA-H31N
and I can't for the life of me find what kind of device it is.
do I assume it is SATA & I no longer need ATA support?
this DELL box is my first PC with SATA. When I opened it up a while back to
add a 2nd HD, THAT is when I found out it was SATA, and my old drives
wouldn't work! but I don't remember looking at the CDROM cables..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800