Re: Sid broken packages

Rick Thomas wrote:

Aptitude claims that gvfs, libempathy-gtk28, libempathy30, and openjdk-6-jre-lib are broken in Sid.

I understand "normal Sid churn" but these have been broken for a couple of weeks.

Are they not really "broken", just (e.g.) being replaced by something else with a different name?

Anybody know what magic is required to fix this?

Not these in particular, but you do have answers for them. It's worth looking around a bit when this happens, sometimes it *is* because of a restructuring, and you need to delete an existing package or two to break the logjam.

By the time this becomes an annoyance, there will usually be bug reports and other discussions, and you can find out what's going on. A current sid irritation is 25 packages (on my particular system) that won't go because some xorg stuff was uploaded to sid by mistake, and a major revision is actually due soon. That stuff will just sit there until it happens. I also have lynx and tex issues, but they started in the last day or two and I'm not bothered about them yet.

--
Joe