Re: USB disk shows up late at boot

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:07:08 -0500
Paul Cartwright <ale@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On Mon December 21 2009, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > I do:  stick with your homegrown kernel.
> >
> > (From the guy who only uses custom kernels)
>
> what would I gain from using a custom kernel, what would it take to
> make/install one, ( a how-to?).

GIYF, but it's not that complicated, although there are quite a lot of
'gotchas'.  Basically:

1)  Download some source - either some linux-source package, or vanilla
from kernel.org (via http or git)

2)  From the appropriate directory, run make menuconfig (or xconfig or
whatever you prefer) and configure appropriately

3)  Run (as root, or using fakeroot) 'make-kpkg [--initrd]
[--revision=revisionstring] kernel_image'

4)  Run 'dpkg -i kernelname'

If you're using an initrd, you'll need to install the appropriate hook
scripts.  Read the README.gz and other documentation.

Celejar