Re: motherboard battery low?

On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

I have a 4.5 year old Epox 8VTAI mobo whose battery has never been changed.

I just noticed that the time does not step when the power is off.

Is that because the battery is low on power?

I don't suppose there is a way to change the battery without losing all the BIOS settings.

What is a way to check the motherboard battery?

Hugo

Hi Hugo,

A *dead* motherboard battery will usually result in total loss of BIOS settings and resetting the onboard CMOS-clock time to something random (or non-random but useless, like January 1, 1904). So you probably don't have that problem (a *dead* battery) ... yet.

Low voltage from the battery (indicating imminent conversion to a *dead* battery) could result in what you're seeing.

You will probably loose your BIOS settings (and reset your onboard clock) if you change the motherboard battery -- so write them down before you start.

Happy Solstice!

Rick