Re: Compiling Linux kernel

Dear Daniel,

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:41:11PM -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
[snip menuconfig discussion]
> This only works in the case of not using ARCH=x86_64 with make
> menuconfig in the second time that is invoked. But when not using this
> variable, the processor family returns to be like Pentium Pro and in the
> .config file I get:
>
> # CONFIG_64BIT is not set
> CONFIG_X86_32=y
> # CONFIG_X86_64 is not set
> CONFIG_X86=y
>
> I tried selecting in the ncurses menu the option
> "Opteron/Athlon64/Hammer/K8" for the processor family, but even so I do
> not see changes in the values of the variables that I've indicated
> above.

Well, I guess I've run out of options. The easy (but dirty) way out is
to run make menuconfig to use a known, good .config file, and then run
make silentoldconfig, and answer the default to everything you don't
think you need to care about (read hold the Enter key till it
ends). This works for me, but I bet someone can tell us a better
solution…

Sorry for not being much help.

Kumar
--
After watching my newly-retired dad spend two weeks learning how to make a new
folder, it became obvious that "intuitive" mostly means "what the writer or