Re: Re (2): new udev

On 12/16/2009 1:31 PM, Rick Pasotto wrote:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:15:30AM -0800, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
Folk,

Observations from bystander.

Date:	Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:21:28 -0500 Brian Nelson wrote,
Some of the .rules files on your system are using
a deprecated syntax, ...

The message in syslog has a rather obscure way of
putting that.  Can't a syslog message be as direct
as Brian has stated it?

I prefer the existing message, since it actually explicitly says what the problem is.

... and also your kernel isn't configured to udev's liking.

Non-obvious details, easily be clarified, are the location
&  use of the CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED option.  Where is it?
Is it consulted when the kernel is compiled or or when the
kernel is running?

It's a kernel compile-time options.

Also, there is no sense in every one of thousands of users
world-wide spending time updating rules.  One of the benefits
of Debian is that a population can benefit from effort of
an individual.  So most users should wait for maintainers
to update the .rules files.

Thank you.

As a user I certainly did not create those rules -- in fact I don't even
know where they are -- so why should I be expected to modify them? Maybe
these rules will be updated automatically when I next reboot -- hence my
question.

/etc/udev/rules.d/z60_libchipcard-tools.rules is presumably created by the libchipcard-tools package, so I'd expect updates to that package to fix the syntax.

If the new udev package requires a particular version of the kernel then
*that* should be pointed out.

At minimum there should be something in apt-listmessages.

Well, it's in the changelog, was discussed on debian-devel (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/11/msg00392.html), and will appear in the release notes for squeeze.