Re (2): How does a novice do this

Date:	Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:28:04 +0000, Joe wrote,
> ... most Windows 'personal firewalls' now make a quick check
> of a program requesting outgoing access, and match it against a hash
> which was calculated when the program was first installed and made its
> first attempt to connect out.

With all the security checking, a Windows system used
by a relative needs about 5 minutes from power up
until it is useable.  Whew!  Before long people will
be more productive using pen and paper and books
than they are using computers.  Not only that, we
can do without the pollution from the non-ferrous
metals and polymers in the hardware.

Regards,        ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop"