Re: totem: thumbnails, nautilus properties, playback broken

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Daniel Armstrong <daniel@wooush.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Tixy <debianuser@tixy.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 20:13 -0500, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
>>> Hi... I am currently running Debian testing upgraded with the latest
>>> Gnome and totem.
>> <snip>
>>> When I open Nautilus:
>>>
>>> * totem-video-thumbnailer fails to create video thumbnails for almost
>>> all formats (only mpeg thumbnails are generated)
>>> * totem fails to play the files
>>> * Right-clicking on the file in Nautilus and choosing 'Properties'
>>> opens a "Creating properties window" and stops at that point...
>>>
>>> Mplayer and xine *are* able to play the files... its only totem - and
>>> by extension Nautilus - that is having problems with these videos.
>> <snip>
>>
>> I got something similar and discovered a Debian bug report which had a
>> reply indicating that the problem was with packages in the
>> debian-multimedia archive. Downgrading libavcodec52 and libavformat52 to
>> the ones in the Debian archive fixed the problems for me.
>
> Hi Tixy... I found the bug report you referred to and downgrading
> libavcodec52 and libavformat52 did indeed fix the issue of video
> thumbnails, nautilus properties, and totem playback. Thanks!
>
> But now I have the problem that debian-multimedia's ffmpeg package is
> broken and trying to downgrade it to testing version opens a whole
> host of dependency issues. How did you resolve things at your end?

Just to follow-up... I resolved the issue by downgrading packages,
allowing aptitude to un-install others, then re-installing by running
the following commands in sequence:

sudo aptitude install libavcodec52=4:0.5+svn20090706-2+b1
libavformat52=4:0.5+svn20090706-2+b1
sudo aptitude install libavfilter0
sudo aptitude install libavdevice52=4:0.5+svn20090706-2+b1
sudo aptitude install libpostproc51=4:0.5+svn20090706-2+b1
libswscale0=4:0.5+svn20090706-2+b1
sudo aptitude install ffmpeg=4:0.5+svn20090706-2+b1

So I now have the ffmpeg + dependencies installed from the Debian archives.

--
Daniel Armstrong
http://wooush.com