Re: VGA cards

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 07:43, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:33:41 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>

> Yes, but people may need some functions that are not provided by Intel
> cards. And remember that Intel driver also had its own glitches...

Intel works great for me.

>> FWIW, I gave up on using the ati drivers for my card, because I could
>> not be bothered with all the bugs and with having to reinstall and
>> configure it on every new kernel version.
>>
>> So ATI are another brand, I'd recommend to avoid. From what I read, the
>> overall hassle is generally far less on using Intel cards. YMMV, of
>> course and not all models of any manufacturer behave the same...

Get an ATI card that is a little older and use the OSS driver, it works
very well. A few years back I had an r300 card and it was wonderful.

Nowadays, the latest 2d driver works on everything except r800
(5xxx series), and 3d works up to r500 (x1000 series) (r600/r700
3d has some support, r800 has none yet, although it is similar to
the previous two, so it shouldn't be hard to do).

> Both, ATI and Nvidia are quite the same: they do not provide a complete
> access to their hardware specifications and just provide closed source
> drivers.

ATI provides complete access to the hardware specs, Nvidia provides
no access at all.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers