Re: Debian 5.0 & 64 bits

amka put forth on 12/14/2009 4:30 PM:

> So, I want something fine.

With all due respect, your definition of "fine" is misguided.  See my
previous email about the difference between "workstation" and "consumer"
class products.  There are "fine" products in both classes.  You are of
the belief that only the "workstation" class products are "fine".  You
are _wrong_, but apparently rich.  So, buy what you want.  You won't
necessarily get the "best" buying "workstation" class.  In fact, most
"workstation" class mobos use slow memory standards.  They are always a
generation behind so they can claim "stability" and charge more for
older technology, driving up profits.  In essence, making "suckers" of
un/under educated buyers.

> 1.
> For AMD Opteron 1356, look this :
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16819105214

Newegg no longer sells that model.  Says so right in the link.

> ? Impossible to find the Supermicro MB's. -> ?

How so?

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/

Best AMD boards on the planet.  From a premier Intel contract
manufacturer, nonetheless.  Supermicro has been manufacturing desktop
and server motherboards for Intel for over 10 years, in addition to
their own Supermicro branded Intel chip motherboards.  They started
manufacturing AMD CPU boards shortly after the Opteron hit the market.
You probably won't find them on Newegg.  They have an authorized dealer
channel.  Find a dealer, find a board. ;)

> But I have simply a doubt... Is the AMD Opteron a good choice ?
> I *presume* it's the best of AMD, and I wonder if Intel would be better.

No, the Opteron is a bad choice for a single socket workstation.  You
pay 10-50% more for the Opteron name regardless of any additional
capabilities, the only of which there are being an additional HT link on
the 800/8000 series Opterons.  Single socket Opty's are identical to
their Phenom counterparts, they just cost more due to the "target market".

BTW, I've never heard of threaded perl code.  Unless you're running
multiple perl programs (3 or more) simultaneously you won't benefit from
a quad-core CPU.  In which case, again, go with the faster dual core CPU
instead of the slower quad core.  If you _will_ be running more than 3
scripts regularly, then I'd recommend going with this AMD cpu and the
previous parts list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103696

I still think your best bet is to go with the parts list I previously
mentioned.  And get 4 Western Digital 300GB Raptor SATA2 drives.  Fast
drives are always better for DB servers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322

Use mdadm/LVM and mirror a 100MB /boot and 30GB /root across all four
drives.  Of the remaining 270GB on each drive, setup a RAID 10 array and
put your database files there.  You'll get maximum data protection and
access speed/throughput using RAID 10.

--
Stan