keeping an obsolete package (libx264-78) removes its automatically installed status

Hi,

The package 'libx264-78' is installed on my (Sid) system:

~# aptitude why libx264-78
i   gnome-mplayer Depends mplayer (>= 1.0~) | mplayer-nogui (>= 1.0~)
i A mplayer       Depends libx264-78 (>= 1:0.svn20091101)

Aptitude shows it in the 'Obsolete and Locally Created Packages'
section.  When I try to upgrade the system, aptitude (initially)
suggests that I keep this package, but whenever I accept the
suggestion, the package's status of 'automatically installed' goes
away, and it becomes marked as manually installed (which is certainly
not what I want, since I have no idea what the thing is - I just want
mplayer to be happy).  This doesn't seem to happen to most packages -
does this have anything to do with the fact that it's 'obsolete' (i.e.,
currently not available in the archives)? Is this a bug?

Celejar