Re: email server

Paul Cartwright put forth on 12/13/2009 4:03 PM:

> How do you know they are full of spammers?

I've received spam to my inbox from all the ranges below.  Liquid Web
has 8 ranges assigned by ARIN, and I've received spam from four of them.
 I don't f*ck around when it comes to spam coming from no-name web
hosting companies.  I usually smtp block their entire set of ranges post
haste.  They're _web_ hosting companies.  Any email they emit is going
to be from hobbyists (you) or, most often, spammers.  I insta-block VPS
companies and the like after the first spam I receive from their IP
space.  Why leave the door open for such outfits?  No legit email is
ever going to come from them, just spam and network level attacks.  Just
about every OP on the spam-l list has perma blocked the Amazon EC2 cloud
due to spam.  Same for the RackSpace cloud services, although I think
they've started to clean that up.

> I moved from my old domain hosting people last year ( 2 years?) because there
> was an issue of AT&T/Bellsouth blocking my domain emails from getting to
> bellsouth people ( Most of my neighbothood is AT&T!) so that was BAD. After 2
> weeks of fighting, I gave up, dropped AT&T & my domain host and went with
> other companies. I thought everything was FINE...

Colo a server with a reputable ISP.  That's the best way to host your
own mail.  If that's to expensive for your taste, host it at home on a
business class dsl line.  You usually get a static IP or 5 depending on
the provider, and the better ones allow you custom PTRs for your IPs.  A
matching PTR/hostname goes a _LONG_ in preventing rejections.  I'm
currently hosting my Lenny/Postfix MX server on a residential adsl line
with a static IP, and I have a generic PTR.  So far I'm not seeing any
deliverability issues--I've been lucky. ;)

>> # Liquid Web                            12/27/2008
>> 72.52.253.48/31                         REJECT
>> 67.225.128.0/17                         REJECT
>> 72.52.128.0/17                          REJECT
>> 67.227.128.0/17                         REJECT

> no, I don't want to host MY domain on dyndns, I want to host my dyndns domain
> on my laptop, just to setup & test my own email server. I want to host my
> REAL domain at home, on my Debian Desktop..... but I want to GET IT RIGHT
> before I mess up my domain emails...

Now that's just plain silly.  Really.  If you want a reliable mail
setup, you need a dedicated box for it, with a decent size UPS just for
the mail server, at least 1.4KVa for a few hours of uptime during a
power outage.  Hosting an MX server on your desktop is plain stupid.  If
you need me to explain why, then you have no business hosting your own
MX.  I'm not intending to be overly harsh here or hurt your feelings,
but dude... wake up to reality. ;)

--
Stan