Re: AAC audio encoding through faac in Squeeze

Jason Filippou wrote:
Hello list,

Having added debian -multimedia to my /etc/apt/sources.list I experimented to see whether I had native support for most audio codecs and encoders. Running the popular audio format conversion program 'soundconverter' I realized I wasn't able to encode into AAC format, even though I had the 'faac' program installed within my system. I then googled a bit and installed another package from the relevant debian - multimedia page ( http://debian-multimedia.org/dists/stable/main/binary-alpha/package/faac.php ) yet still I have no luck with AAC. Here's the relevant terminal output:

jason@debian:~$ sudo aptitude show faac
Package: faac
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 1.28-0.3
FAAC currently supports MPEG-4 LTP, MAIN and LOW COMPLEXITY object types and MAIN and LOW MPEG-2 object types. It also supports multichannel and gapless encoding.
Homepage: http://www.audiocoding.com/
jason@debian:~$
jason@debian:~$
jason@debian:~$ sudo dpkg -i faac_1.28-0.3_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 147934 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace faac 1.28-0.3 (using faac_1.28-0.3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement faac ...
Setting up faac (1.28-0.3) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
jason@debian:~$
jason@debian:~$
jason@debian:~$ soundconverter &
[1] 3807
jason@debian:~$ SoundConverter 1.4.4
  using Gstreamer version: 0.10.25, Python binding version: 0.10.17
  using gio
  'faac' element not found, disabling AAC.
  using 2 thread(s)
/usr/bin/soundconverter:2615: Warning: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
  gnome.init(NAME, VERSION)

[1]+  Done                    soundconverter

Any ideas on how to get a working AAC encoder in my Debian system? Or perhaps there's some known issue with 'soundconverter' that I'm missing and you'd like to recommend another converter to me (I'm using KDE, by the way, and have come to understand that soundconverter is a GNOME application, not that I mind, just saying).

Thank you.

Hi,
I was just try to convert .mp3 in .flac. I did it with Audacity on Debian Squeeze. Song .flac run in VLC and Amarok.
If I can send you more information let me know.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic